Friday, November 7, 2008

I'd only just met her

The first Christmas I met my step-sister's younger daughter she ended up in the hospital. She was having respiratory issues and spent Christmas night being subjected to tests and sleeping away from home. Her parents stayed by her side, both tired and both wishing they were in their house enjoying what is supposed to be a family holiday and special fun for children.

I didn't know her well, but during the day did what I imagined my mother would have done if put in the same situation. I went to Toys 'R Us and bought her a stuffed animal, a monkey to be specific, which had reminded me of one I'd had as a child. My hope was that this little girl would be distracted from the array of devices, tubes, and nurses that flurried around her and would for a few minutes, have a new toy on Christmas.

When we gave it to her, she smiled, granted for all of thirty-seven seconds, but all in all it was worth it. I was able to help her have, even if only for a moment, a happy Christmas. And it reminded me of how important those feelings of family and happiness are during the holidays, if not all year round.

No comments: